Local, National & Cross Border M&A Advisory Services
A Merger (as defined by Investopedia) is a deal to unite two existing companies into one new company.
An Acquisition: An acquisition is a corporate action in which a company buys most, if not all, of the target company's ownership stakes to assume control of the target firm. Acquisitions are often made as part of a company's growth strategy when it is more beneficial to take over an existing firm's operations and niche compared to expanding on its own. Acquisitions are often paid in cash, the acquiring company's stock or a combination of both.
SBIS can assist Buy Side or Sell Side
Sell Side Representation:
It is said that mergers & acquisitions are mainly the means of just buying or selling a business. However, we carry the following areas of expertise that separate us from the rest;
- Personal Experience on both Sell side and Buy side. We have successfully built, sold and exited our own companies in the past. This experience not only allowed for us to know the process but also has given us a deep understanding of the impact that an M&A process has on the owner’s career, emotions and family dynamics.
Our Buy side experience is extremely valuable and has equipped us to be more successful during the negotiation process than our competitors as well as has positioned us to know what to expect from A-Z.
- We Focus on Building Value: most of the business owners want to sell their company at the highest price possible and in the best conditions, but most companies have not either done the work to create a valuable system or just have not built correctly but instead have built a company that runs them instead of them running the company.
In addition, the market rarely offers to pay the “fair price” for the right value. SBIS has expertise in helping companies maximize the proceeds of their sale by creating value through a strategic process of realignment, and adjustment of some internal aspects of the company, over time, in order to increase value and buyers’ interest.
- We Focus on Planning Ahead: SBIS also seeks to help our clients with exit planning instead of just recklessly jumping in and “selling the company”. Exit planning is the management of complex activities, plans and procedures that help better position the company and it’s owners for a smooth transition phase from one owner to another while gaining a favorable position.
Buyer side Representation: our buyer side acquisition process is organized by three important steps:
- Analysis: during this phase we help the buyer analyze the options, understand what company to acquire, and why they should acquire another company as well as what potential issues and challenges are bound to take place during the integration process- ahead of time. SBIS calls this Looking Ahead from “The Place We Stand at Now”.
- Buying: buying is not all about paying the lower price, it is more to analyze, design and execute a strategy to gain the best conditions for the acquisition. The entire period of the buying process is usually needed to understand how the new business is truly operating and how it should operate in the future.
- Integration Planning: The bottom line is, a new company needs to be integrated with an existing one. The goal of a two company integration is not only to add new products/services, employees, and/or processes, but it is also about creating value beyond the purchase through synergies. The value of the integrated company must be higher than the sum of the value of the companies by themselves.